Monday 26 June 2017

19th June 2017

The Scarlet Tiger was certainly unexpected and a stunning moth to catch here. It actually landed on the trap just as I was giving it a check at 23:15 - brilliant. I used to get numbers of this moth in my garden in central Oxford - this was before I knew much about moths but I still have a few photos of them I think. Over this way, they are rather rare - not sure about VC29 but pretty much unheard of in Norfolk for example. 

There were also a few other good moths amongst 85 species recorded, with a total of six new for the garden:

[312] Argyresrthia brockeella
[312] Cherry Fruit Moth
[313] Aethes beatricella
[314] Variegated Golden Tortrix
[315] Scarlet Tiger
[316] Blackneck

The Argyresrthia brockeella was tricky to photograph but eventually it worked out ok. A very smart little moth indeed and the first for me away from Chippenham Fen:

Argyresthia brockeella
In the same genus as the above, the Cherry Fruit Moth was a lifer for me:

Cherry Fruit Moth Argyresthia pruniella

Yet another lifer, was this Aethes beatricella, a fairly local species:

Aethes beatricella
The Variegated Golden Tortrix isnt bad looking either:

Variegated Golden Tortrix Archips xylosteana

Blackneck is always scarce here and this is my first record since 2012:

Blackneck Lygephila pastinum

Other decent moths included the first adult Vapourer for the garden after a caterpillar last year:

Vapourer Orgyia antiqua

Grey Pug Eupithecia subfuscata

Fan-foot Herminia tarsipennalis

No comments:

Post a Comment