Sunday 9 July 2017

July Clearwings

Overall its been a successful year for clearwings in the garden and I added two more species this weekend:

[330] Yellow-legged Clearwing

[331] Six-belted Clearwing

I tried the VES lure for perhaps the 3rd time this year on the 1st  - previously it had attracted Orange-tailed only. After an hour nothing had happened so I added the HYL lure to the mix -  5 minutes later - bingo - two tremendous Yellow-legged Clearwings:





Yellow-legged Clearwing Synanthedon vespiformis
A brief Six-belted Clearwing came into the API lure but evaded capture. I was therefore quite relieved to net two on the 9th. There was quite a size difference between the two individuals so assume a male and a female are involved:




Six-belted Clearwing Bembecia ichneumoniformis


Also about was this stripey Orange-tailed which had me confused for a while:


Orange-tailed Clearwing Synanthedon andrenaeformis

No comments:

Post a Comment