Tuesday 8 May 2018

3rd May 2018

[397] Emperor Moth

After seeing some reports of the EMP lure working in attracting the odd Emperor Moth locally I thought I would give it a try. I put out the lure at 12:30 in seemingly perfect conditions - and didn't have a sniff over a lunch hour. Bill Mansfield did get success in the late afternoon though, so I returned to the garden at 16:00. Within 20 minutes I wondered why that Peacock butterfly was playing so much attention to the lure...when it slowly dawned on me what it was! Suddenly there was three Emperor moths doing laps around the garden. I manged to net two of them and took the lure in to give the other male a break.






Emperor Moth Saturnia pavonia

A completely brilliant moth and one I had only seen once before - a tatty female in the Cairngorms about 20 years ago. 

No comments:

Post a Comment