Sunday 24 May 2020

April 2020 part1

April seems like a lifetime ago and what happened in March? I didn't get a trap out at all in March, I must have been......busy. Garden mothing has been important to me for many years now but this year its value has increased incredibly due to the changing world landscape. I didn't set foot outside of Cottenham for the entire month of April, so every cold or clear night was greeted with great disappointment! 

Here's a quick summary of garden moths recorded in the first half of the month where I managed a single new macro to the garden:

[556] Lead-coloured Drab

Lead-coloured Drab Orthosia populeti
I have scoured Clouded Drabs for many years trying to pick out Lead-coloured Drab to no avail. It was definitely one of those where i thought i was either overlooking it or its just wasn't occurring here. However, I was please to pick this out quite swiftly. 

For the third year running I scored with the Emperor Moth lure:

Emperor Moth Saturnia pavonia
Some other good early spring moths involved three Brindled Beauty (just two previous records here I think) and a fantastic Mullein:

Brindled Beauty Lycia hirtaria
Mullein Cucullia verbasci
Less stunning but with only a handful of records here is Agonopterix subpropinquella:

Agnonopterix subpropinquella
My earliest ever Chinese Character was welcome alongside some other expected species:

Chinese Character Cilix glaucata

Early Grey Xylocampa areola

Streamer Anticlea derivata

No comments:

Post a Comment