Sunday 31 May 2020

May 19th 2020

An excellent mid-week trap produced three new species for the garden list, two of which were lifers:

[563] Bucculatrix bechsteinella
[564] Clouded-bordered Brindle
[565] Alder Moth

This Bucculatrix had me scratching my head but after catching both ulmella and frangutella in previous years i could be confident it wasn't either of those. B.bechsteinella is a species I wasn't familiar with at all but it matches well to several online photos. It is a relatively widespread species that mines on hawthorn.

Bucculatrix bechsteinella

Alder Moth is distinctive noctuid that isn't uncommon in various spots in the Country but not so much in Cambridgeshire. I haven't caught up with it anywhere so I was really glad to catch this one.



Alder Moth Acronicta alni

Another widespread noctuid is Clouded-bordered Brindle. Again it is somewhat scarce in this part of  Cambs, however I have recorded it elsewhere a few times. 


Clouded-bordered Brindle Apamea crenata

There were plenty of other highlights including two Cydia conicolana making it three in total  this week. I recorded this species for the first time last year so perhaps it will be regular from now on.

Cydia conicolana

My second Lime Hawkmoth for the garden was definitely appreciated:

Lime Hawkmoth Mimas tiliae

Somewhat less inspiring is the pyralid Homoeosoma sinuella:

Homoesoma sinuella

There were two Buttoned Snout in the trap, which must be the first time I've had more than one at a time:

Buttoned Snout Hypena rostralis

No comments:

Post a Comment