Friday 3 July 2020

25th June 2020

Three new for the garden moths to report:

[586] Epinotia abbreviana
[587] Endothenia marginana
[588] Brown Scallop

A fresh and distinctive looking tortrix was one of the first moths I noticed. I thought I would be able to work it out quickly, but it was however a struggle and I tentatively put it down as just an unusually bright Ancylis achatana. That was seen to be completely wrong when I posted a photo online - a suggestion came back as Epinotia rubiginosana. Although I thought that wasn't quite right (I caught one of this species several years ago) it was definitely one of the Epinotia. A further suggestion of E. tenerana wasn't convincing either and then finally two votes for E. abbreviana cracked it. This is a very variable species that feeds on elm it certainly is a species I wasn't particularly aware of. 

Epinotia abbreviana

An even more difficult genus of tortricids, if that's possible, are the Endothenia. I catch very few of these however so they are always of interest. This individual was diminutive so is very likely to refer to E. marginana:

Endothenia marginana

Keeping up the theme of the previous trap, a Brown Scallop is a species that I recorded just once at Corbett Street. I had forgotten how dowdy they could be; they must be in the running for the worst geometer out there:

Brown Scallop Philereme vetulata

During the week there had been unusually large numbers of Acrobasis repandana turning up on the south coast. Two were in my trap and considering I've only recorded this once before its tempting to conclude they were part of the same movement. 

Acrobasis repandana



No comments:

Post a Comment